Vacation in Belize, May 2010
We flew to Cancun and drove south along the Mexican coast.
- Susie, happy to be on vacation.
At the border, we paid the Belize government to
(1) fumigate our car
(2) pretend to inspect our luggage
(3) consider inspecting our car
(4) insist that Susie walk, not ride, across the border.
But then it let us in!
Said government strongly hinted that perhaps, maybe, probably,
we really should buy some auto insurance from a Belizean company
(we didn't need it) just to avoid unwanted attention
at police roadblocks. And that seemed to work!
Pretty much everything went swimmingly after that.
- A Baird's tapir,
the national animal, at the national zoo.
- A colorful plant
at the Belize Botanic Gardens.
- Bats resting on a tree trunk,
on the New River near Lamanai.
- Susie has a howler monkey
eating out of her hand while Robert,
a guide at the Community Baboon Sanctuary, looks on.
- View from atop the largest Mayan structure at
Xunantunich in western Belize.
- Mayan architecture at Altun Ha
in northern Belize.
- A stairway to heaven at the Mayan city of
Returning north was straightforward but we were sad to leave Belize.
- Franklin, returning the rental car in Cancun
and worried the camera will fall off the suitcase
on which it's balanced.